Saturday, July 12, 2008

T-shirt messenger bag

My Wardrobe Refashion project for this week was challenging, but immense fun. My college-student son asked if it would be possible to make a messenger bag for him out of a few of his favorite T-shirts. With his permission, I sacrificed the old bag to make a pattern (and scavenge the shoulder strap). I used fusible interfacing to stiffen it and lined it with canvas to add stability. Eight hours later, he has a new, one-of-a kind bag and is thrilled with the results. So am I!

The actual design was pretty simple; what made it hard was the stretchiness of the T-shirts and sewing the seam binding around the edges, especially when it got thick.



The finished messenger bag, front.

To see more pictures, follow the link to my Flickr photos.

No comments: