Saturday, April 11, 2009

Sad news: The cost of not shopping local.

I am in the swirl at a conference in New Orleans, which kind of doubles the reasons not to blog frequently. But I got an email from a colleague back home that just broke my heart, so I thought I'd share. Vertigo Books, an independent book store in College Park, is closing next week. The complete notice is on their website, but here's the short version: locally owned business were struggling to survive the competition from big box chains and online merchants, and this economy just made it harder. In the end, you may save a few bucks by buying a book elsewhere, but that purchase benefits your local economy -- you and your community -- much, much less. This is the second local business to announce that April is their last month; the other is a local arts co-op, Artists on the Avenue, which just opened late last fall.

I try to do my bit, but I'm not rich and I don't spend a lot of money. True to my word, I spent some of my "tax break" $$$ at my local yarn store and brewery, and will try to make it to Vertigo one last time to do what I can.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am always sad to hear news like this. In Montpelier, VT, we have several small independent bookstores, and one of them, Bear Pond Books, has set up an online presence and will now do mail-order in an effort to combat the big online booksellers. Fortunately, there aren't a lot of big box stores nearby to compete with but they do have to deal with online stores. So far, it seems to be working. But then, in Vermont, we tend to be pretty conscious of spending our money locally.

Jacob said...

and artmosphere makes #3. there's a variety store (think trinkets and beads, not singles) that's opening up a block away on RI Ave on 4/20, though, but we'll see how long it lasts. it's unfortunately located across from the sketchy bus stop and near a bunch of sketchy "grocery" stores and such.